About Winchester House

The Egerton family had been Lords of the Manor of Brackley since the end of the 16th Century and in the 18th Century, the Earls of Ellesmere were given Winchester House as a gift by King George III as a reward for building the world’s first ever canal near his coal mine in Lancashire.
It was rebuilt in 1870 for Francis Egerton, 3rd Earl of Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley as a large and comfortable mansion for use as a weekend retreat during the hunting season.
 
In 1876 Winchester House School started as a school in St Leonards-on-Sea near Hastings. It was advertised as preparing boys for public school and the Royal Navy. By 1918 during WW1 Winchester House School moved to its current site here to escape the coastal dangers of the First World War and is now a fully co- educational pre prep and prep weekly boarding school with over 300 pupils.
your customer
In 2013 the decision was made to open the gates of Winchester House to the public and so the events company Winchester House Trading Ltd was formed. Since then we have applied for and been granted a Wedding licence making Winchester House the Civil Ceremony venue in Brackley. We also have a fully licenced bar available for any event held here. 
Winchester House Trading Ltd is not only donating back to the school to invest in the future of these beautiful buildings and grounds but is also reaching out to the community with the use of the grounds for events such as the town's Classic Car Show. The local Sea Cadet core have also found their home here and we run charity events to support local provisions such as The Hub Youth Cafe.